The area of Zabalj municipality is being settled since younger stone age until now days. Evidences can be seen all over this location e.g. on high landings near old shore of river Tisa, Jegricka and Mala bara. One by another the remains of these settlements from neolith, bronze and iron age, necropolis of Celts, half-casemate of Sarmiths and silos of Slavs can be seen. Numerous and rich materials are presented at the museum of Vojvodina.
It is worth mentioning the following: the collection of silver coins from Gospodjinci, collection of silver jewelry from Curug (VI century B.C.), Scordics arms, pottery, arms made of stone, bones and metals. As of end of IX century this area is settled by Serbs. Territory of municipality is governed by Turks since 1541, in canton of Titel, and the inhabitants were only Serbs. They lived in ten villages, and three of them still exist: Curug, Zabalj and Gospodjinci.
As of 1699. Till 1918. this area is governed by Habsburg monarchy. In 1763. In order to save the borders from Turks, habitants were organised in Sajkaska border army with people from Zabalj. In 1769. people from Curug and Gospodjinci joined them too. This army was definitely formed in 1800, when people from Temerin moved to the place where Djurdjevo is now. Sajkaska army soldiers were good in battles against Turks and Hungarians in 1848/49. In April 1849., the villages of municipality were burnt and people were killed in war operations. After abolition of Army border in 1873. people migrated, and lot of Germans, Hungarians, Rusyns and Jews immigrated. This part of Sajkaska region lost Serbian ethnic character.
As of the end of 1918. settlements of Zabalj municipality became a part of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians Monarchy. During 1941. territory of Zabalj is governed by Hungarians and in 1942. two thousands people were killed. The territory of municipality was liberated in October 1944.
The municipality of Zabalj is situated in geographical centre of Vojvodina, in Northern- East part of Backa, known as Sajkaska. 28400 habitants live on 405 square meters surface. Four settlements are situated here, Zabalj, Curug, Djurdjevo and Gospodjinci. The municipality has extraordinary tourist and geographical location. It is well connected to big cities nearby. It is located 25 km from Novi sad, 20 km from Zrenjanin and 90 km from Belgrade.